NYE Mischief– Gatsby Style
















After watching the newest rendition of The Great Gatsby– I imagined what it must have been like to be a guest at a party just like that.  Imagine no more, I along with some great friends experienced that party.  Thanks to friends Kadie and Emerson for providing the perfect venue for this party.   Their home is listed on the National Historic Registry and was built in the late 1800s, so you can imagine the charm the home has.  Kadie left it to me to decorate, and because the house is so amazing and their place is already decorated with vintage pieces it took very little  effort.  

With Kadie's permission and my willingness to vacuum, I set up a confetti bar.  Guests grabbed a paper cone, and made their own confetti mixture to fling into the air at midnight.  I knew I wanted to paint the ever looming eyes of Doctor TJ Eckleburg that Nick describes as keeping a "watchful vigil".  I painted the eyes in about 2 days and though I'm not the best painter it was a lot of fun.  I also made the tassels hanging in the living room.  The only thing different with these is they are extra long, I made each tassel with one sheet of tissue paper cut on the short side. There is a hook right in the center of the high ceiling, so we hung two strands from there and attached them to each corner of the room.  It felt like a big top at a circus.  I also painted the "Let's Misbehave" sign and it was a lot of fun walking it around to get pictures of everyone with the sign.  Let's not forget about the clear balloons!  I love balloons & the clear ones made me think of champagne bubbles.  

The party was so much fun– it left most of us saying it was the best NYE party they've ever been to.  Since the New Year I re-watched The Great Gatsby and just thought about what a great time we had and how much it felt like we were in fact at a Gatsby party! 

You can see more photos on my Facebook album cleverly called The Great Minter


No comments