Vertical Ampersand Planter

Photo by Ashley Lynn Richards






I was so excited when Target, in their home decor section, had this metal ampersand wall art piece.  The price tag, originally at $34.99, I knew would eventually be on clearance- I love clearance, and sure enough a month later the ampersand was clearance priced at $17!!!! Oh happy day!!!    I posted a picture on DIT&O's Instagram (above) and Ashley had a great idea to make it a vertical planter.  

If you've seen any diys for a vertical planter, there is some kind of frame and on the top and bottom is mesh.  This ampersand already had mesh on one side, so what I had to do was cut a 1/2" mesh to fit in each section.  I traced the ampersand onto the mesh and then used wire cutters to cut it out.  I cut each section a little larger than the area,  and bent the sides up so that there was tension and the wire would stay in place.  All together, it probably took me 4 hours to complete, but that includes the time it too pick all of the succulents from a friend's house.   I filled the ampersand with good quality soil and then fitted the mesh into the sections.  Adding the succulents was easy, I used an aqua bulb to make holes to stick the succulents in sections of the mesh.   There were a couple of succulents that needed larger areas so I used the wire cutters to cut a section out of the mesh.  

I am so in love with the finished product.  

We took it to Joshua Tree and used it for our save the date photos that Ashley recently took.  

I definitely plan on making more vertical planters and will be on the look out for things that can be repurposed to make one.  

Happy Monday!  Share what you are making or doing this week with #doittogetherandoften.



No comments